Monday, January 29, 2007

Raro Culture Shock


Everywhere I look something or someone is in action, the noise from the traffic is constant, there is music, electricity, pavement and even air conditioning. I cannot believe the number of people or the cheapness of fresh groceries. There were two cafes, open and with people inside. There are shops selling non-essential items. There is wireless internet.

Atiu is so silent in comparison it is unbelievable. It was hot and dry and magical and now that we are back to civilization (aka a place with some semblance of a cafe culture and a nightlife and a local newspaper and fresh veggies) I understand the slogan used to advertise the island: Atiu - Get Away From It All. Before we left I wondered get away from what? Now I know. Get away from everything.

My farewell 'ei is hanging in my room making it smell of beautiful gardenias.

Jen out.

1 Comments:

At 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really glad that everything is great, but can please come home soon, I miss you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home